I pity the fool who doesn't wear all his medals!
The year started with the Inaugural Dopey Challenge, so it's only fitting that it ends with me looking forward to completing the challenge again next week.
First, a look back. 2014 has been full of amazing races, great trips, and runs with great friends.
A few disappointments:
- Apparently, runDisney hasn't taken any of my merchandising suggestions. Perhaps with Star Wars Weekend right around the corner, runDisney is waiting to announce the Jabba the Hut anti-chafe gel. Remember, you heard it here first!
- I am still looking forward to an out of state marathon. Hopefully, I'll be able to make that happen in 2015.
- DisneyBride isn't racing as much as in previous years. I hope she signs up for more races this coming year.
This year we have enjoyed a few last minute races, the runDisney Tower of Terror 10 Miler for example. It is still pretty amazing to me that with a few minutes notice, I can just agree to run 10 mile race. Just a couple of years ago, a 5K seemed like a never ending race.
I have enjoyed helping others to cross the finish line. I have created a couple of training plans for people who wanted to complete their 1st race. I even put together a plan to help a friend successfully complete her 1st marathon.
Sharing many of the hard learned lessons only helps to remind you how far you have come. Always make sure to take time to answer questions from friends and colleagues. You never know who may want to begin running.
I have also spent more time running in groups, not only in training, but for races as well. Running with others is a fantastic way to keep motivated late in a race. Make sure to run with someone who will laugh at your cheesy jokes even when you're at mile 23 of a marathon.
- The Destin Beach Ultra Runs 50K in February will be my 1st ultra. It is both awesome and scary at the same time. I always said people who do ultras are crazy, someone better get me a strait jacket.
- I want to start being a little more selective about my races. I really enjoy trail runs and hope to add more trail races to the calendar.
- I want to spend more time running for the enjoyment, not just because of an upcoming race.
- I want to be more consistent with my running and training.
- I want to be more proactive about blogging my race recaps and training updates.
My #DopeyAintEnuf race season is in full swing, but the bulk of it will be happening in 2015. I continue to look forward to finding new trails, cool new races, and new running friends.
What lessons have you learned this year?
What are you looking forward to in 2015?